Before You Begin
This article describes how to complete the Windows RT setup. You only need to complete these instructions the first time you start up your Windows RT Surface tablet.
Windows RT Surface Tablet Setup
To set up your Windows RT Surface tablet, do the following:
- Power on the Surface tablet.
- Select your language.
- Click Next.
- Put a check mark in the box next to I accept the license terms for using Windows.
- Click Accept.
- Select a color scheme and enter a name for your device in the PC name box.
- This computer name should be unique to avoid problems connecting to the network.
- For example, enter
ulid-surfaceas your computer name (where ulid is your ULID).
- Click Next.
- You will be prompted to connect to a wireless network so you can complete the setup.
- If you are setting up your Surface tablet on campus, you will see only open wireless networks, such as isu-guest, setup-isunet, and/or setup-isu-resnet. You cannot use these networks to complete the setup. Instead, click Connect to a wireless network later.
- If you are setting up your Suface tablet at another location, you may be able to connect to a local wireless network.
- You will be prompted to select your settings. Click Use express settings.
- You will be prompted to sign in to your PC. Do one of the following:
- If you are connected to a wireless network and have Internet access, either enter the email address associated with your Microsoft account and click Next or click Sign up for a new email address to create a Microsoft account.
- If you are not connected to wireless, you will be unable to log in with a Microsoft account at this time. Instead, click Sign in without a Microsoft account. You will be able to add a Microsoft account at a later time. The next screen describes the differences between using a Microsoft account and a local account. Click Local account. Then complete the next screen to create your local account and click Finish.
- Windows RT will finalize the settings for your device.