Voice mail service is available through the telephone system at Illinois State University. All office phones come with voice mail service by default. You can access your voice mail from your office phone or from another phone. Voice mail is accessible from both on and off campus.
Voice Mail Basics
When you get a new campus phone, it comes with voice mail service.
- Your voice mail security code (PIN) is 0000 by default.
- When you get a new phone, you should go through voice mail setup.
- To access your voice mail from your campus phone, press the Messages button or dial 8-3000.
Voice Mail Setup
To set up your voice mail for the first time, press the Messages button on your phone or dial 8-3000. Then follow the audible instructions. During voice mail setup, you will do the following:
- Change your PIN
- Record your name
- Record a standard greeting
After you have completed the initial setup, you can also record an alternate greeting if you wish.
Important: Your callers can leave voice mail messages for you even if you have not yet gone through voice mail setup. Instead of hearing your recorded name or greeting, your callers will hear, "Sorry, Mailbox <phone number> is not available. Record a message at the tone. When you are done, hang up or press pound for more options.."
For more information about the campus voice mail system, refer to the following:
- 1776: How to set up your voice mail
- 1753: What is my voice mail PIN?
- 1777: How to access new voice mail messages
- 1761: How to access saved voice mail messages
- 1745: How to access, recover, and permanently erase deleted voice mail messages
- 1665: How to turn on, turn off, and edit your alternate greeting
- 1754: How to edit your standard greeting
- 1734: How to change your voice mail PIN
- 1651: Understanding the voice mail message retention policy
- 1035: How to use visual voice mail on a VoIP phone
Quick Reference Sheet
Print a copy of this voice mail and VoIP quick reference sheet and keep it by your phone.