Before You Begin
The easiest way to move all of your email is to use PINE on traveler.ilstu.edu. Using a telnet client, you can connect to Traveler, a UNIX server, and perform the mass move. Because Traveler is UNIX-based, all commands are issued with the keyboard only (mouse interaction is not available).
Telnet to traveler.ilstu.edu
First, you need to telnet to traveler.ilstu.edu. This requires a telnet client. Mac OS X has a built-in telnet client. You must install telnet on Windows Vista/7 before you can use it.
Before you can use Telnet in Windows Vista/7, you must install it. Refer to 1290: Installing Telnet on Windows Vista/7/8.
To run telnet on Windows Vista/7, do the following:
- Click the Start button.
telnet traveler.ilstu.eduin the search box where it says, Start Search, and press Enter.
Mac OS X
To run telnet on Mac OS X, do the following:
- Open your hard drive.
- Double-click Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- In the upper left-hand corner click Terminal > Preferences...
- Select xterm from the drop-down menu next to Declare terminal type ($TERM) as:.
- Quit the Terminal program and re-open it.
telnet traveler.ilstu.eduand press Enter.
Log In and Open Your Inbox
Once you are connected to traveler.ilstu.edu, you will be prompted to log in. Follow the directions below.
- Type your ULID and press Enter. (Do not use the Backspace key on Windows; use the Delete key instead.)
- Type your password and press Enter. The flashing cursor will not move as you type your password; this is normal.
- PINE, a UNIX mail client, will open, and you will be prompted to log in again.
- Your ULID will already be present where it says, ENTER LOGIN NAME. Press Enter.
- Type your password and press Enter. Like before, the flashing cursor will not move as you type your password.
- The FOLDER LIST line is already selected. Press Enter.
- The Mail on mail.ilstu.edu:143/IMAP line is already selected. Press Enter.
- Now you will add a folder to move the emails to. Press A.
- Enter a name for the folder you will move the emails to. Folder names cannot include any slashes, but can have dashes. Press Enter.
- Move the selection to Inbox. Press Enter.
- Your Inbox will open and display your email. You may use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll up and down. Press Enter when a message is selected to view it.
Move All Email from Your Inbox to Another Folder
Once you've connected to traveler.ilstu.edu and opened your Inbox, you can move all of your email. Follow the instructions below.
- Commands are displayed at the bottom of the telnet window.
- Press O to see Other Commands.
- Press O again to see more commands.
- Press ; (semi-colon) to Select emails in your Inbox.
- Press A to Select All emails in your Inbox.
- Press A again to Apply an operation to the selected email messages.
- Press S to mark all email for saving. All of your emails should now be flagged with an X on your telnet screen.
- Press Ctrl+T to view the folder list for your account.
- Press the arrow keys to highlight the folder you want to move all of your email to. Press Enter.
- It may take several minutes to move your email messages, depending on how many you have to move. The telnet window may be unresponsive while the server performs the operation.
- You have now moved your emails into the folder you selected. The Inbox still contains copies of those emails, and they are each marked for deletion.
- You need to expunge the original copies of those emails from your Inbox. To do this, press X to Expunge them.
- It may take several minutes to expunge the emails from your Inbox. The telnet window may be unresponsive while the server performs the operation.
- After a few moments, you will see a message that indicates the number of emails deleted.
Your emails have now been moved from your Inbox to another folder, and the original copies of those messages have been expunged from your Inbox. You may close the telnet window.