Before You Begin
The instructions below are based on the stock version of Android 2.2. Depending on your version of Android and the type of device you are using, you may find the instructions below do not precisely match the screens you see when setting up Exchange.
If you find that the instructions below are different from your device, please configure it based on the following information:
- Email Address: yourULID@ilstu.edu
- Username: your ULID
- Domain: ad.ilstu.edu (you may not need to specify a domain)
- Exchange Server Address: owa.illinoisstate.edu
- Use Secure Connection (SSL): Yes, Always
- Synchronization: Automatic (Push)
- Send Email from this Account by Default: Select yes if you want email sent from your Android device to come from your Exchange email account.
If you have problems configuring your Android device with Exchange settings, please stop by the Technology Support Center office in Julian Hall 145 for assistance.
Configure Android for Exchange
To set up Android for Exchange, do the following:
- Open Settings > Accounts & sync > Add Account.
- Press Corporate.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Your email address is
- Your email address is
- Press Next.
- Enter your account information if prompted to do so.
- If Android is able to automatically obtain your Exchange server settings, you will not be prompted to enter this information. Skip to the next step.
- The Username field should contain your ULID.
- The Domain field (if present) should either be left empty, or you might need to enter
- The Password field should already contain your password.
owa.illinoisstate.eduin the Server field.
- Make sure there is a check mark next to Use secure connection (SSL).
- Press Next.
- You might get a Remote security administration warning. The warning reads, The server owa.illinoisstate.edu requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone. Do you wish to finish setting up this account? If you get this warning, click OK.
- Select your account options.
- For Email checking frequency, we recommend Automatic (Push). This means email will be delivered to your Android device as soon as it is received by your Exchange account.
- For Amount to synchronize, we recommend One Month. This setting determines how far back Exchange email and calendar items should be synced on your device.
- If you use Exchange as your primary email account and want to use that account to send from your device by default, put a check mark next to Send email from this account by default.
- If you want to be notified when a new Exchange email arrives on your Android device, put a check mark next to Notify me when email arrives.
- If you want your Exchange contacts to be synced with your Android device, put a check mark next to Sync contacts from this account.
- If you want your Exchange calendar to be synced with your Android device, put a check mark next to Sync calendar from this account. (Android 2.1 does not offer this option.)
- Make sure Sync email from this account has a check mark next to it.
- If you want to automatically download attachments on your Android device when you are connected to wireless, such as "isunet," put a check mark next to Automatically download attachments when connected to Wi-Fi. You might want to skip this option if you receive large file attachments in email if you are concerned about storage space on your device.
- Press Next.
- You might be prompted to select required security settings at this time. If so, refer to Security Settings Update below. Otherwise, you will be prompted to select these settings after you complete setting up your account.
- Complete the account setup.
ISU Exchangein the Give this account a name field.
- Enter your full name in the Your name field. This is how your name will be displayed on Exchange emails sent from your Android device.
- Press Done.
Android is now configured for Exchange. Your Android device will begin syncing email, calendar, and contact items from Exchange. This may take a few moments.
Security Settings Update
After configuring Android for Exchange, Android will display the following message:
Account "ISU Exchange" requires security settings update.
You are required to act upon this message before you can use Exchange email or calendar. If you try to access your Exchange email before activating the required security changes, you will automatically be taken to the Update Security Settings screen (see below). Your Exchange calendar will not be available until you activate the required security changes.
To act upon this message, do the following:
- Swipe down from the notifications bar at the top of your screen to open the notifications screen.
- If you try to access your Exchange email, you will automatically be taken to this screen.
- Press the new notification labeled Update Security Settings.
- The notification says, Activate device administrator? The server owa.illinoisstate.edu requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone. The following items are listed below this message. The wording of these items varies between carriers and versions of Android.
- Erase all data
- Set password rules / Limit password
- Monitor screen-unlock attempts / Watch login attempts
- Lock the screen / Force lock
- Set lock-screen password expiration
- Set storage encryption
- Click Activate.
The security options shown above are handled by the Exchange server and are applied only at your request. For example, if you lose your Android device, you can request to have the device locked and have all data erased. These security options will never be used without your approval.
Set an Unlock Pattern
Your Exchange calendar and email might contain sensitive or personal data. We recommend setting a screen unlock pattern for Android.