Cisco NAC Agent for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
When you connect to ResNet, you must log in using the Cisco NAC agent. The Cisco NAC agent will check your computer to make sure it meets the Conditions of Access. For more information, refer to 1151: Conditions of Access.
Connect to ResNet
You must log in with your ULID and password and your computer must meet the Conditions of Access each time you connect to wired or wireless ResNet.
Each time you connect to ResNet, the Cisco NAC agent will check your computer as follows:
Step 1: Incompatible Anti-Virus Software
The Cisco NAC agent first checks your computer for incompatible anti-virus software, including Symantec Norton AntiVirus, Computer Associates Anti-Virus, and Trend Micro AntiVirus.
- Remediation: If any incompatible anti-virus software is found on your computer, you will be prompted to remove it before you can continue.
Step 2: University Approved Anti-Virus
You must have the University approved anti-virus installed.
- Windows 7/Vista/XP Remediation: If you do not have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, the Cisco NAC agent will alert you that you are missing required software. You will be taken to a web page where you can download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Windows 8 Remediation: Microsoft Security Essentials is not support on Windows 8. Instead, you are required to use Windows Defender, which comes with Windows 8.
Step 3: Virus Definitions Update
The installed anti-virus must be up to date.
- Remediation: If installed anti-virus is out of date, the Cisco NAC agent will update the virus definitions.
Step 4: Anti-Virus Service Running
The installed anti-virus service must be running.
- Remediation: If the installed anti-virus service is not running, the Cisco NAC agent will start the service.
Step 5: Windows Updates
Your computer must have all Windows updates installed. This includes Windows service packs. Windows XP requires Service Pack 3. Windows Vista requires Service Pack 2. Windows 7 requires Service Pack 1.
- Remediation: If you are missing one or more Windows updates, the Cisco NAC agent will download and install them for you. This process can take a very long time, especially if you are missing one or more service packs.
Step 6: Windows Automatic Updates Setting
Your computer must have the Windows Automatic Updates configured to automatically download and install all important or critical updates.
- Remediation: If your Windows Automatic Updates setting is not configured correctly, the Cisco NAC agent will modify the setting to correct it.
Step 7: Windows Firewall
Your computer must have the Windows firewall enabled for you network profile.
- Remediation: If your Windows firewall is not enabled, the Cisco NAC agent will instruct you to download and run our Windows Firewall Enabler utility.
Step 8: Adobe Flash & Reader Update
Your computer must have the latest version of Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader if you have them installed..
- Remediation: If you have either Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, or both installed, the Cisco NAC agent will instruct you to download and run the latest installer files.