Before You Begin
Illinois State University offers wireless access to its visitors. The "isu-guest" wireless network is available throughout campus, except in Milner Library. In Milner Library, visitors can connect to the "isu-public" wireless network.
A valid network guest account is required to access "isu-guest." For more information, refer to 1415: How to request a network guest account.
Connect to "isu-guest" on Windows XP
To connect to the "isu-guest" wireless network with Windows XP, do the following:
- Click Start > Connect To > Wireless Network Connection.
- Click View Wireless Networks.
- Select isu-guest and click the Connect button.
- If you see the message, "You are connecting to the unsecured network "isu-guest". Information sent over the network is not encrypted and might be visible to other people," click Connect Anyway.
- Open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. You will automatically be taken to the GuestNet web page.
- Log in using a valid network guest account user name and password.
You are now connected to the "isu-guest" wireless network. Clicking Logout on the GuestNet web page terminates your connection to the "isu-guest" wireless network.
The following restrictions apply to the "isu-guest" wireless network:
- A valid network guest account is required.
- The "isu-guest" wireless network is unencrypted.
- You cannot connect to the campus VPN, but third-party VPN connections are allowed.
- You cannot access internal university resources, but you can access public resources. An internal resource is an Illinois State website or service that normally requires a VPN connection from off campus.
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) network traffic is blocked on all campus wireless networks.