These instructions explain how to update Mac OS X and Apple applications. This will not update third-party applications (i.e. applications made by someone other than Apple), such as Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Office.
- Make sure you have a working Internet connection.
- Click on the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select Software Update... under the Apple menu. (Figure 1)
- The Software Update window will appear and automatically check for any Mac OS updates.
- Click the Install button. (Figure 2)
- Restart your computer if prompted to do so.
- More updates may still be available. Repeat steps 1 through 6 until the Software Update window says, "Your software is up to date." (Figure 3).