Before You Begin
When an Exchange calendar is shared with you, you can access it using Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011, Outlook 2013, or Outlook Web App (OWA). You must open the shared calendar before you can see it.
Open a Shared Calendar in Outlook
To open a shared calendar in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011, Outlook 2013, or OWA, do the following:
- Do one of the following:
- Open Outlook 2010.
- Open Outlook 2011.
- Open Outlook 2013.
- Log in to OWA at https://owa.illinoisstate.edu/.
- Click Calendar on the left side of the window (or at the bottom of the window if in Outlook 2013).
- Do one of the following:
- Outlook 2010: At the top of the window, click Open Calendar > From Address Book....
- Outlook 2011: Click File > Open > Other User’s Folder….
- Outlook 2013: Click File > Open & Export > Other User’s Folder…
- In OWA: Click Share > Add Calendar...
- Type the last name of a person who is sharing a calendar with you. Then click OK.
- If Outlook finds more than one match, you will be prompted to select the calendar you want to open.
- To open the shared calendar for a resource (like a meeting room or piece of equipment), enter the name of the resource in the box.
- The shared calendar will open.
- The name of the shared calendar will appear on the left side of the window.
- You can hide/display the shared calendar by clicking the check box next to the calendar name.
Viewing a Shared Calendar
In Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, and OWA, the shared calendar will open to the right of your calendar. The name of the shared calendar appears at the top.
In Outlook 2011, the shared calendar will open on top of your calendar. Events on your calendar and events on the shared calendar will appear side-by-side. To make it easier to distinguish your events from the shared calendar's events, you can hide your own calendar by removing the check mark next to Calendar on the left side of the window.
If you open a calendar and all events display as "Busy" it means you do not have permission to view the shared calendar. You can see when the person (or resource) is busy, but you cannot see the details of the calendar events.
Modifying a Shared Calendar
When you open a shared calendar, you will see the events on that calendar. Depending on the level of permissions you have been granted to the shared calendar, you might be allowed to create or edit events on the shared calendar too.
Removing a Shared Calendar
You can remove a calendar from the list of shared calendars in Outlook or OWA. This does not permanently delete the shared calendar from your access or from the Exchange server. It just removes the calendar name from the list of calendars on the left side of the window.