Before You Begin
You can share your Exchange calendar in Outlook 2010. When you share your calendar with someone, that person can open your calendar and view it. You can also give permission to create and edit events.
The instructions below explain how to share your Exchange calendar and grant basic permissions to view calendar events, you can decide what level of calendar details you want to allow others to see. When you share your calendar, the recipient will receive an email notification.
However, when sharing your calendar with a larger group, it may not be appropriate for the entire group to receive an email saying you shared your calendar with them. To share your calendar with an individual or a large group without sending them an email notification, refer to 1941: Discretely sharing your calendar in Outlook 2010
The people with whom you share your calendar will not have permissions to create or edit events on your calendar.
Sharing Your Calendar
To share your calendar in Outlook 2010, do the following:
- Open Outlook 2010.
- Click Calendar on the left side of the window.
- Click Share Calendar at the top of the window.
- Click the To... button, and enter the last name or distribution group of the person or group with whom you'd like to share your calendar.
- You can use the Advanced Find to search by ULID or full name if needed.
- Repeat this step to add additional people to this sharing invitation.
- Select the person's name from the list and click the To -> button.
- Click OK.
- If you are sharing your calendar with an individual, you may request permission to see their calendar. Put a check mark in the box labeled, Request permission to view recipient's Calendar. This is optional.
- Skip this step if you are sharing your calendar with a distribution group instead of an individual.
- Click the Details: menu and select the level of calendar detail you would like to share.
- We recommend selecting Full Details. This will allow the person with whom you're sharing your calendar to see all details of your calendar, except for events marked private.
- You may write a message in the large, white space if you wish. This is optional.
- Click Send.
- A message appears which summarizes the sharing invitation and permissions. Click Yes.
A sharing invitation is sent and your calendar is now shared with those you specified in the calendar sharing invitation.
Recipients of Sharing Invitation
The recipients of your invitation will receive an email explaining the sharing request.
- If your recipients use Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, the email will contain a button labeled Open this Calendar, which they can use to open your shared calendar.
- If your recipients use Outlook 2011, the email will contain a message stating that you have invited him or her to view your shared calendar. The recipient will be required to manually open the shared calendar.
- If your recipients use Outlook Web App (OWA), the email will contain a button labeled Add This Calendar, which they can use to open your shared calendar.
- Your recipients can open the shared calendar at any time by referring to 1251: Opening a shared calendar in Outlook and OWA.