What are the Conditions of Access?
All computers that connect to Illinois State University's network must meet the Conditions of Access (COA):
The University requires all computers connecting to the campus network to have a University-approved anti-virus application installed. The following anti-virus products qualify:
- Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows
- ClamXAV for Mac OS X
You must also make sure that your anti-virus application is enabled and up-to-date. Visit the Technology Support Center Downloads page to download and install an anti-virus application.
The University also requires you to install all available security updates for your computer's operating system, as well as updates for installed software like Flash and Java.
Any computer that fails to comply with the Conditions of Access may be taken offline until it can be updated so it meets the requirements.
Why have conditions for access?
Internet threats reduce your ability to use your computer for academic pursuits, research, and public service.
- Viruses and other malware cause major problems. In a short time, a single infected computer can infect many other unprotected computers, which can lead to network interruptions or failure.
- Protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. Vulnerable computers can be used by hackers and viruses to launch attacks that deny everyone access to important servers and services.
- Security is everyone’s responsibility. You need to do your part to keep the campus network safe for yourself and others.
Why do I have to use the university-approved anti-virus?
You must remove your anti-virus software and install a University-approved version. This University requires this for a few reasons.
- Efficiency - It is more efficient for the University to support a few approved anti-virus applications than to support several.
- No Cost to You - Microsoft Security Essentials and ClamXAV are available at no cost.
- Conflicts - You must remove your existing anti-virus software because if you have more than one anti-virus product installed at the same time, it will cause a conflict which will lead to additional problems.