Before You Begin
An email nickname is an alternate email address which can be used to send you email. An email nickname is an alias for your regular ULID email address. It's not another account; it's just another way for people to send you email.
An email nickname offers a more friendly address for you to share with others. For example, Reggie Redbird's email address is email@example.com. Reggie would like his email address to be more recognizable, so he creates the email nickname of firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you create an email nickname, it will not replace your ULID. You will still log in with your ULID and password, just as you've done in the past. After setting up an email nickname, you will receive email that is sent to yourULID@ilstu.edu and to yourNickname@ilstu.edu.
Set Up an Email Nickname
To set up an email nickname, do the following:
- Go to http://helpdesk.illinoisstate.edu/.
- Click Account Management.
- If you are not already logged in, click log in to manage your account and sign in to CentralLogin.
- Click Email Nickname.
- Click the drop-down menu to see a list of available email nicknames.
- Do one of the following:
- Choose one of the predefined email nicknames.
- Select I want to choose my own nickname. Then type a custom nickname in the box provided. For more information about custom email nicknames, see the information below.
- Click Save Changes.
If you chose one of the predefined email nicknames, it will be active as soon as you save your changes.
Custom Email Nickname
A custom email nickname must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 8 characters in length
- Must contain only letters and periods
- Must include your last name
If you create a custom email nickname, it must be approved before it will be activated. An Incident will be automatically generated for your custom email nickname request and will be sent to CIS SYSTEMS - UNIX TEAM. Once your nickname has been approved and applied to your account, you will receive an email notification indicating that the Incident has been closed.
Change or Remove Email Nickname
If you already have an email nickname set up, it is displayed for you when you log in to Account Management. You can modify or remove your email nickname at any time.
Changes made to your email nickname take effect immediately. If you request a custom email nickname, it must be approved before it will be activated and applied to your account.